Friday, January 2, 2015

Scrapbook Layout and a little Mixed Media (Lite!)

Hi there! 
Samantha here, and today I'm sharing a super neat layout that I made with various Create a Smile Stamp sets and even one of the stencils! :)



I have been playing around more and more with scrapbook layouts (something I had gotten away from for a while). I especially am into adding a little mixed media in my layouts - but let me clarify something...I call my style of scrapbooking...Mixed Media "Lite" or "Diet" Mixed Media! ha ha! Because I don't get into the deep Mixed Media styles, just the watercolor-y, little bit of texture...slightly layered look.  :D It makes complete sense in my head, but translating into typed out sentences seems to be failing me! Ha!


To create this layout, I took a piece of white 12 x 12 cardstock and used white embossing paste with the Skinny Chevron Stencil in a triangle pattern near where I wanted the picture to be. Once that was dry, I sprayed some mint colored mist onto a piece of scrap packaging. Then I took the packaging and smooshed it into my layout - instant watercolor look!


I also stamped the two cat images (one is from Comfy and one is from Your View), as well as the little arrow from the Fur Alle Falle stamp set into some Soft Sand ink!
I layered some strips of washi to ground the sentiment, and added a few strips of mint and a soft khaki colored cardstock onto the top and bottom, and it was done!


Oh, I also added some stitching with my sewing machine...I can't resist stitching on a layout!


I love using stamp sets on layouts, and the two kitty images from the Comfy and Your View stamp sets are just SO cute!! And that little arrow from the Fur Alle Falle stamp set is perfect for a subtle way to draw your eye!!

Not to mention my go to stencil - Skinny Chevron!


I used my embossing paste and stencil first, because I wanted the watercolor look to pool in the textured areas. However, if you would prefer a more consistent and 'clean' watercolor look, do the watercoloring first, and then the stencil! :)

I always machine stitch on the thickers on my layouts - I never want to pull out a page and the title falls off! Ha! So I ensure that won't happen by stitching them on! On the rare occassion I don't stitch, I make sure I use extra adhesive in the forms of glossy accents or roller tape! 


Don't forget to use stencils and stamps on your layouts! Sometimes it's easy to create a page without stamping, but I LOVE adding emphasis to an image or title or memory with stamps! 

Have an excellent weekend!

  


2 comments:

  1. FABULOUS layout Samantha - totally understand your Diet approach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout Samantha love, love it.

    ReplyDelete